In 2015, Ian Brown had just moved back to Perth after living in the United States for several years.
The next day, Ian started running and on his first attempt completed a 3km run.
“The first night I was very worn out. I was in my 50s and didn’t have any running experience.”
From there, Ian ran three times a week with the group and every night for himself. After months of dedication and regular participation, Ian improved his fitness. He has since completed five marathons and several half-marathons.
“I am celebrating over 6,500km of running.”
Through his devotion to On My Feet, Ian has successfully secured employment, found housing, enhanced his sense of self-worth and belonging and now has a new horizon of opportunity.
What Ian has achieved with OMF
- Ian has moved from shelter housing at St Bartholomew’s to his own housing in East Perth
- Addressed significant mental health issues
- Found employment with SecondBite
- Undertaken several work experience opportunities
- Improved his physical fitness and overall wellbeing
- Completed five marathons and several-half marathons, including travelling to Melbourne twice to complete the Melbourne Marathon
- Exemplifies the OMF values of Community, Opportunity and Resilience
- Served as a loyal and trusted ambassador for OMF
- Volunteered and coordinated the Perth Exercise Group for 2 years
- Presented publicly to intimate and large audiences on his experiences.